Last Updated: August 9, 2022
Setting up your first ESD Workstation may seem like a daunting task, but it’s actually very easy. Below is an outline of steps needed to set up your workstation and a list of basic ESD products that may be needed. Some applications do not require all of these items and of course there are many additional ESD Products available to enhance the sophistication of your ESD program.
- Lay your ESD Table Mat on your workbench. For general electronics assembly, ESD vinyl is a suitable material. If you are soldering or working with chemicals, ESD rubber mats are your best choice. If your ESD mat is curled or rolled upon receipt, putting it outside in the sun will help it lay flat.
- Connect your ESD Common Point Ground Cord to the ground snap attached to your table mat. Connect the ring terminal of your ground cord to a nearby grounding receptacle. This is most easily accomplished by placing the outlet cover plate screw through the ring terminal.
- Put on your ESD wrist band and plug the coil cord banana plug into the receptacle of the common point ground.
- Lay your ESD Floor Mat in front of your workbench.
- Connect your Low Profile ESD Ground Cord snap to the ground snap on your floor mat. Connect the ring terminal to a nearby grounding receptacle as described in step 2. Wear ESD Heel Straps when standing on the ESD floor mat.
- Photo Courtesy of SCS
Remember, keep only static safe products in or near your workstation. Any insulators or static generators should be removed from your work area or replaced with similar items that are static safe. If you must have insulative items, you should consider using ESD Air Ionizers at your workbench to neutralize static charges.
Building blocks of a basic ESD Safe Workstation
- ESD Wrist Strap Kit – includes wrist band & coil cord
- ESD Table Mat – available in a wide variety of colors, sizes and materials such as vinyl, rubber and rigid surfaces.
- Grounding Hardware – ground snaps, common point ground cords and floor mat ground cords
- ESD Floor Mats – available in low profile runners or cushioned ESD anti-fatigue mats for standing applications.
- ESD Heel Straps – used in conjunction with ESD floor mats, tile & ESD wax. Gives operators mobility, while still safely grounded.
- ESD Wrist Strap & Footwear Tester – Verify your wrist straps and heel grounders are functioning properly.
- ESD Identification – ESD warning signs, posters and floor marking tape identify static sensitive work areas.
- ESD Compliance – ESD Surface Resistivity Meter and Static Locators.